Call Us Today:
(202) 862-4360

Internationally Recognized Trial Attorneys

Immigration Visa Law Firm DC

Our immigration visa law firm DC recommends shares that if you qualified and received a student visa from the United States (M-1 or F-1) you are welcome to stay as long as you follow the rules dictated by your student status.

If you break any of the rules, you will be considered falling ‘out of status’. That means you do not have the right to remain in the United States. If you have children or a spouse here with you, they could lose their rights to be here as well. You all could be deported and your immigration records will be stained with the unlawful stay in the US. If you have questions or are concerned about the status of your student visa, contact the immigration visa law firm DC turns to at The Federal Practice Group to help sort through your situation.

While you are in the US on a student visa the rules are pretty clear:

  • Attend school
  • Get the approval from your school’s advisor for foreign students if you need to make any changes to your original plan

Students can lose the student visa status if they take less than a full course load, they stop going to school, take a job without getting the proper permissions, and change schools or majors without contacting the appropriate personnel. Our immigration visa law firm DC endorses share that additionally, you could lose your student visa status if you are convicted of committing a violent crime or lie to USCIS.

It is really important to note that if you have any concerns that you may be in violation of your student visa it’s important that you contact an immigration lawyer DC relies on to help you work with the USCIS.

It is not a violation of your student visa status to stay longer than the expiration date on the original visa. The student visa is just a document to get you into the US. The expiration date on the student visa is the latest date you can use the visa to come into the US. It is not the date you have to be out of the country by. If your visa has expired by the time you leave the United States, you must get your visa renewed at a United States consulate office before you can return to this country. Working with an immigration visa law firm DC turns to can assist with managing the complexities surrounding this process.

What if there are breaks in school attendance?

Life happens and the USCIS understands if you get seriously ill or even become pregnant. Discuss the situation with your designated student advisor so they won’t have to let the USCIS know of your absence. You may need to apply to extend your student visa if you fall ill and are unable to complete your studies by the date listed on your I-20.

What if You Break the Rules of the Student Visa?

Our immigration visa law firm DC seeks assistance from shares that one of the most serious violations of a student visa is to work when unauthorized to do so. It is the only violation that cannot be fixed by reapplying to student status. If you get caught violating your student visa and have no defense, you can be deported. If you are here with a spouse or children, they can also be deported.

If you have any concerns or questions about the status of your student visa, contact the immigration attorneys at The Federal Practice Group. Our immigration visa law firm DC seeks assistance from will listen to your case and decide how best to proceed in your best interests.

Fighting for Justice

Connect with us in our D.C., Oklahoma, or California offices by calling the office number below. We'll provide you with the guidance and representation you need.

Do You Want to...