Internationally Recognized Trial Attorneys
ICC International Court of Arbitration Attorney
With our headquarters based in Washington DC, our ICC International Court of Arbitration attorney represents clients from all around the globe who are seeking to resolve a broad range of international commercial disputes.
The Federal Practice Group represents clients with all aspects of international arbitration. This includes arbitration that is supervised by the major providers of international arbitration services. As a leading ICC International Court of Arbitration attorney, we assist clients with the preparation and enforcement of agreements in arbitration, as well as enforcing the awards that are made by tribunals.
What Is International Arbitration?
International arbitration is the most common form of alternative dispute resolution and addresses a case or a potential dispute between parties that are typically located in two different countries. An ICC international court of arbitration attorney knows that arbitration usually takes place because the parties involved have clauses in the commercial contracts between them. These types of clauses stipulate that should a dispute arise between the parties, they are obligated to arbitrate their dispute instead of pursuing the issue in litigation.
When the parties enter international arbitration under the jurisdiction of the ICC International Court, all binding solutions through an arbitral award is enforced internationally under the provision of the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards (also referred to as the New York Convention). This treaty was adopted by the United Nations diplomatic conference on June 10, 1958. It went into effect on June 7, 1959, and has been ratified by more than 160 (sovereign) states.
One example of international arbitration is investment arbitration. This is where a foreign investor brings a claim against the host state of where their investment is, such as energy projects. The investor and the host state enter into contracts to use international arbitration to resolve their disputes or the investor will file their claim under bilateral or multilateral investment treaties. Each side has an ICC international court of arbitration attorney representing them and protecting their interest.
One of the main advantages of working with an ICC international court of arbitration attorney and pursuing arbitration instead of court litigation is that an arbitration award is enforceable in most countries. Another advantage is that the awards are final and are typically not subject to appeal, as well as the ability to select a neutral forum to resolve the dispute(s), confidentiality, and the ability to choose procedures that are flexible for the arbitration process.
Under the New York Convention, once an arbitration award has been issued in one state, it can be enforced in other contracting states. There are only limited defenses to stopping this enforcement:
- One party of the arbitration agreement was under some form of incapacity.
- One party was not given proper notice of the arbitrator appointment or of the arbitration proceedings.
- The arbitration agreement was not valid under its governing law (the state’s law the parties agreed to when the contract was entered into).
- The arbitration award deals with an issue that does not fall within the terms of the submission to arbitration clause in the contract or is beyond the scope of the arbitration.
- The award is not yet binding, or it has been set aside by a competent authority. This is usually an authority in the country where the arbitration occurred.
- The issue of the award was not able to be resolved by arbitration.
- The makeup of the arbitral tribunal was not in accordance with the agreement the parties had in the original contract.
When You Need an Experienced ICC International Court of Arbitration Attorney
Attorneys from The Federal Practice Group have served in private arbitrations, as well as international panels for years. We have also provided advice for clients who are seeking alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation or conciliation. We are also familiar with utilizing mini-trials – a newer option that is often available under the international arbitration courts.
The Federal Practice Group have successfully handled arbitrations under arbitration rule systems, providers, and conventions such as:
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the international affiliate of the American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC)
- Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society, U.S. (ARIASoUS)
Our ICC International Court of Arbitration attorney has worked with arbitration clients from The United States, Canada, Asia, Latin America, and Europe. Industries we have served include construction, engineering, government contract, defense, oil, gas, manufacturing, healthcare, and more. Our firm has assisted clients, such as those listed above, in drafting contracts, dispute resolution provisions, choice law, forum clauses, and so forth. We have also represented clients in preparing and presenting matters before international panels for arbitration, as well as sessions for alternative dispute resolution.
A few examples of nations in which we have handled arbitration or had participants from include:
- The United Kingdom
- + Many More
Our International Dispute and Arbitration Experience
The Federal Practice Group has decades of experience in handling arbitration, dispute resolution, and mediation for a broad range of clients. As an attorney for the ICC International Court of Arbitration, we have handled arbitral disputes that have involved:
- Government contracts
- Joint ventures
- Energy projects
- Natural resource developments
- Construction developments
- International sales
- Intellectual property
- Other commercial disputes
- + More
The Federal Practice Group is On Your Side
Whether you are a majority or minority shareholder, part of a joint venture, an independent contractor, corporate firm, Limited Liability Company, or any other party, if you are involved in an international dispute, and are in need of arbitration or mediation, please call an ICC International Court of Arbitration attorney from The Federal Practice Group now. We are ready to review your case and build a strategic, approachable, and successful resolution.